The Restoration Period: 1660-1800
**In 1660, the English monarchy was restored after nearly twenty years of Civil War.
However, plague descended, followed by a devasting fire in London. England was
ready for a period of stability in which the conservative values of order, decorum,
and clarity were of the utmost importance.
The English Civil War: Why did the English Civil War Start?
King Charles I: see pages 565-571 in textbook
Oliver Cromwell: (Lord Protector)
King Charles II: see pages 565-571 in textbook
Restoration Powerpoint: (1B.. Kayla, Jesse, and Alison)
Addicted to Theater:
*Please use your textbook to answer the following questions.
1. How long were the theaters closed when the Puritans held Power?
2. What was one of the first matters Charles II attended to when he regained the throne?
3. Discuss the differences in female acting roles during the Renaissance and the Restoration.
4. What did the new types of plays emphasize?
5. Discuss one of the comedies written during the Restoration period.
6. In addition to the play writers, what type of writing became more popular? Who did they NOT cater to?